Thursday, March 3, 2016

Dubai Adventure - Epilogue

Today is March 3rd, and I've been back at home for two full days now--also two full days after I was supposed to come home, thanks to a nasty stomach ailment I picked up. Fortunately I didn't get ill until right before I was supposed to head to the airport on Saturday night, so I didn't miss out on anything. I was also lucky it was inexpensive to change my flight home (twice), that Tom and Rebecca were able to house me for two extra days, and that my anti-nausea meds are available over the counter (albeit at a high price) in Dubai.

In my rental wheelchair on the AUD
campus where I was staying
So now that I'm back in also-sunny Florida among green and wet things, I've had time to reflect on what's easily been the biggest adventure I've ever been on. Now, I'm aware I only went to a modern city; it's not like I climbed Everest or camped out on the Amazon for a week. But remember that adventure is in the eye of the beholder. Like it or not, as active and seemingly unaffected as I am, I am still a disabled person with physical challenges, and the United Arab Emirates is still a very foreign country without all the benefits of the Americans with Disabilities Act. I've covered thus far all the "stuff" I did with Tom and Rebecca during my trip already, so I kinda want to focus on my unique perspective as a disabled traveler in Dubai. This is, after all, a blog about my life with MS :).

In my scooter on the way to the
Dubai Mall and Burj fountains
First of all, you should know I often tear up when I think about the very simple fact that I was able to go to Dubai. All my friends and family have been in awe over my decision to make this trip, but I think it was more over the distance and how exotic a place it sounds. It's also not a cheap place to visit. Sure, you can spend a few thousand dollars visiting any place in the United States depending on the level of comfort you want (or how many kids you have if you're going to Disney World), but generally speaking, Dubai is not for the budget-conscious. I get emotional over this trip because I was physically able to go, and God blessed me with two friends and a number of strangers who helped me to do and see absolutely everything I wanted.

In my scooter at the Burj fountains
My decision to rent a wheelchair for my stay was a smart one. We were able to mix up my use of the electric scooter and the wheelchair based on obstacles we anticipated (like many high curbs, sand, etc.), and it made the logistics of carrying me AND my mobility aids more practical for Tom (who deserves a StrongMan trophy for all the carrying he did!). Aside from the fact that there are almost zero curb cutouts (ramps from the sidewalk to the street at corners or crosswalks), the metro stations and public spaces are incredibly handicap accessible. As I mentioned earlier, there was even an accessible bathroom in the middle of nowhere at the Bedouin camp during our desert safari!

At the Mall of the Emirates
The people everywhere we went were very courteous and kind. I had no idea what to expect in this regard. 75% of the people in Dubai are foreigners, and everyone has a different way of reacting to and treating the disabled. Fortunately for me, there seemed to be enough other people (generally seniors, who are widely respected) in wheelchairs where I didn't feel too out of place. My youth did that for me, lol! I did receive many unabashed stares from people in most places, but I expected that and wasn't offended at all. It's a different culture and I look different; I'm okay with that. What was very unexpected is the number of people who boldly approached me in a very friendly manner to inquire about my scooter and my WalkAide leg devices! While I saw several wheelchairs, I did not see a single motorized device anywhere. In a wealthy place like Dubai, you'd think they'd be more prevalent (either as rentals or in use by locals). However, it seems scooters are at a premium here; I was disappointed to inform those inquiring that I had brought mine from the States.

Being carried up to the top
of the dune so I could see
the same view as everyone
I mentioned in a Facebook post the other day that if I had an addiction to travel before this trip, Dubai has now required me to seek an intervention. Of course, most foreign cities and places are nowhere near as accessible as Dubai was. Granted, I still had my challenges. Some places had no elevators or ramps, and some activities (although not many, and some I had no interest in) were off limits. But now I've made it my mission to discover every place in the world where I can go. Of course, I have to either bring someone with me or go to a place where I have friends like Tom and Rebecca to help me. That'll will be the hardest part, and will require some patience. But the list is starting! My best friend Erin and I are already seriously contemplating Dublin and parts of Ireland next year. Australia has been on my travel bucket list for 20+ years, and a tour outfitter in South Africa offers a 100% handicap accessible safari with accommodations and everything.

Being hauled onto the camel!
Last Friday night, I went to a get-together with a bunch of Rebecca's colleagues. I met this great married couple who had traveled extensively, and the husband had a fantastic tattoo on his forearm with the 3-letter ISO codes of all the countries he's visited. It went at least halfway up to his elbow, and it was amazing. I liked it so much that I'll be doing the same thing, although mine will be considerably smaller :). But having the motivation to keep adding to that tattoo...that's something incredible.

Sunset in the Dubai desert
I'm back home, but the dreaming and planning hasn't stopped! On May 21st, I'll be meeting my best friend in Vancouver for a 7-day cruise to Alaska. Just like I said I had no idea how I was going to get my behind on a camel but I was going to do it, I have no idea how I'm going to get my behind in a glacier-bound helicopter, but I'm going to do it :). Dream. Save money. Travel. See the world. Because you never know how long you have until you can't do it anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment